Info about Mega Millions
- Accepted in India: Yes
- Maximum Jackpot: ₹106.5 billion
- Ticket cost: ₹139 per play
- Agents available in India 50+
Mega Millions is the lottery for the ones who dare to dream bigger than anyone else. A mega jackpot that will make your wildest dreams come true!
Guide to playing Mega Millions lottery
Mega Millions lottery is a million maker to say the least. This lottery has long been the United States most popular lottery and it’s easy to understand why. In later years this lottery has decided to invite players worldwide to try out their luck! As a lottery fanatic I couldn’t be happier when I found out they accept Indian players through Mega Millions websites.
As it is a American state lottery from the start you can think of it as the Kerala State lottery only a thousands times better. Why a thousand times better? Well that’s how much bigger the Mega Millions jackpot can become so think of your dream win on a Indian lottery and multiply it by a thousand, then you have the Mega Millions jackpot.
What is the Mega Millions lotto?
The Mega Millions lottery was, as I mentioned earlier, started as a state lottery in 1996 and was only played in three states from the start. It’s popularity quickly grew and more and more states joined in. A lot of Americans wanted to participate event though they did not have any shops to buy tickets from nearby and that’s when it moved online as well.
Several Mega Millions websites were opened offering American players the option to buy their lotto tickets safely and securely online. With the success of it’s online venture Mega Millions decided to invite players worldwide accepting Indian players for the first time. Right now it is one of the most popular online lotteries in India alongside Powerball and SuperEnalotto.
The lotto game is a played with 5 main numbers and 1 Gold Ball number. The main numbers can be chosen from 1 to 70 and the Gold Ball number can be chosen from 1 to 25. The draw is made in Atlanta, Georgia on Tuesday and Fridays at 11PM eastern time. Because of the time difference the draw in India is on Wednesdays and Saturdays at 8:30AM. The draw takes place regardless of holidays so you do not have to worry about any American holidays you don’t know about.
Now you have come to the best part of this Mega Millions lottery review, the jackpot. To this date the biggest jackpot paid out to one single player has come from Mega Millions. The lucky winner who had bought a ticket in South Carolina won $1.537 billion on the 23rd of October, 2018. That is about Rs. 10996 crore, you see what I meant with Mega Millions being a thousand times better than the Kerala State lottery? The only lottery that has had a bigger jackpot is Mega Millions, a jackpot of $1.586 billion, but it was shared by three winners.
The Mega Millions jackpot winner with the ticket from South Carolina decided to stay anonymous so he can enjoy his jackpot in peace. Since the Mega Millions websites buy physical tickets for you in different states when you play online there is even a chance that the anonymous player was a Indian Mega Millions jackpot winner, it could literally be anyone!
So that was the biggest Mega Millions jackpot but then what about the smallest? Well, it’s hard to call $40 million a small jackpot but that is the minimum. So when you win the Mega Millions jackpot the minimum amount you will win is Rs. 286 crore! Just think about what you could do with Rs. 286 crore!
All prizes but the jackpot get paid out instantly. When you win your money will instantly be credited to your lottery account. The jackpot on the other hand you have two different options either you get a lump sum which is known as the cash option or you get it paid out annually over 30 years.
Something that is important to consider is the jackpot size is based on the annual payments and if you choose the cash option your payout will be significantly smaller. For example in 2005 a group of friends called “The Lucky 7” won a Mega Millions jackpot of $315 million but after choosing the cash option they got $175 million. It’s hard to say what is better it all depends on what you prefer, a choice you will have to deal with later if you become an Indian Mega Millions winner.
Can I buy a Mega Millions tickets in India?
To be able to play Mega Millions you will need to find Mega Million websites that accept Indian players. Since I know from personal experience it is hard to find a lottery website you can both trust and that suits your needs I have reviewed more than 50 different lottery websites. I can guarantee you that all the lottery sites I have reviewed are safe so all you need to worry about is the websites services are what you are looking for. Now what do I mean by service?
Other than selling lottery tickets all online lotto agents have different structures, some focus more on giving rewards for playing, others on impeccable customer service and so on. Below you can find a list of areas that can differ between lotto websites for you to consider when looking through my reviews.
Online Lottery Websites
- Promotions – Some lottery websites focus a lot on promotions, it can be special prices on tickets, welcome offer and more.
- Casino Games – Some online casinos offer a lotto agent service as well. Great if you like to play jackpot slots or table games for example.
- Mobile – All lottery agents will work on your phone but of course there are some that work better than others. If you will play mostly on your cell phone choose a lottery website that has focused on mobile compatibility.
- Payment Providers – In this day and age there is a endless amount of safe ways to pay online. If you prefer a specific way to pay you can double check that the lottery website provides said provider.
- Lotteries – I am a lottery nut and if you are like me you are going to want to spread out your luck on different lotteries. Check what other lotteries are available on the lottery websites.
- Customer Support – If you are new to online lotteries you might have a lot of questions even though it is very easy. If you feel that might be the case look for a lottery website with fast customer support.
Now you know what to be on the lookout for! All you need to do know is read my trusted reviews, visit the website of your choice and sign up for an account to start playing!
How do I play Mega Millions online?
To be able to play you need to buy tickets and from the previous section you might have an idea how it works. To get rid of any doubts I will explain the whole process step by step. It really is as easy as 1, 2, 3, so let’s go!
- Choose the lotto website from my trusted reviews that suits you best.
- Decide what numbers you want to play, 5 main number 1-70 and then one Gold Ball number 1-25.
- Think about how much you want to play, one draw, several draws or maybe by subscription. My recommendation would be try the lottery and if you liked it and thought it was exciting sign up for a subscription. I know a guy who once missed a big win when he played weekly but forgot to buy tickets one week and of course his numbers won big that week. Spoiler alert, it was me… So don’t be like me and receive all the wins you deserve with a subscription!
- Wait for the draw, do your good luck dance, put on your good luck clothes, be nice and good things will come to you. Hopefully a jackpot!
- Check your account after the draw to see how much you won!
See it’s quite easy!
How much does a Mega Millions ticket cost?
Each row costs $2
What is the biggest Mega Millions Jackpot?
$1.537 billion ≈ Rs. 10996 crore
What are my chances of winning?
1 in 302,575,350 of winning the Mega Millions jackpot. 1 in 755 of winning any of the higher prizes, 1 in 40 of winning any prize.
Are there any numbers better than the others?
As in all lotteries there are hot and cold numbers but in the end all numbers have the same chance of being drawn. If you feel like hot numbers are more likely to come then you should to choose those. That’s the beauty of lotteries in my opinion, there are no right or wrong numbers before a draw. What is important is that you feel both lucky and comfortable with the numbers you choose.
When is the Mega Millions draw?
Tuesday and Fridays at 11PM Eastern Time = Wednesdays and Saturdays at 8:30AM Indian Standard Time
What are the rules?
All you need is to be 18+ and be able to provide a valid proof of identity and address
How can I be sure I will receive my price?
The lottery websites I have reviewed have a great track record otherwise I would never recommend them. Your money is credited to your account as soon as you win. The lottery is also under supervision by several state government bodies that make sure that all the payouts are made as they should.