Guide: How to make lottery payment
How do I make a payment to an online lottery?
When online payments first were made available, most of us didn’t trust these methods completely. Let me tell you I was one of those people. I mean since I got my first bank card I was taught not ever give out my card details. This is, of course, a good precaution but not true in this day and age. Nowadays online payments are one of the safest, fastest and easiest ways of making purchases. The increase in safety is thanks to innovations by all the amazing payment providers out there.
Like with most things, society can’t quite catch up with the speed of technology so some people are still suspicious even though they have nothing to fear. Or rather you have nothing to fear of you have the right knowledge and I will share that knowledge with you today!
In this guide, I will go through all the essential parts of making a deposit at an online lottery. By the time you have reached the end of this page, you will understand just how easy it is to start playing. I will teach you about the different methods of depositing, the best way to get the most out of your money and how to choose the most trusted lottery.
I have played for several years and I would like to title myself an online lottery guru. As your online lottery teacher, I am pleased to tell you there are many great payment providers out there that you can start your lottery adventure with.
When you visit an international lottery site you might even get overwhelmed with all your options. Therefore I will focus on the three payment methods that are most useful in India.
- Credit & Debit Cards
- Bank Wire Transfer
Now, what is an e-wallet? An e-wallet is exactly what it sounds like. It is a wallet but online. You can deposit money in your digital wallet by using your debit or credit card or bank wire transfer. You can even make deposits to your e-wallet with other e-wallets. Now let’s not get too snowed in on making deposits to e-wallets, we are here to learn how to make deposits to online lotteries with e-wallets!
Making a deposit with an e-wallet to an online lottery in India is as easy as 1, 2, 3. I mean this literally.
- Make an account at your online lottery website of choice.
- Choose how much to deposit with any of the many e-wallets available (I recommend Neteller or Skrill).
- Congratulations, your money has instantly arrived at your lottery account and you are ready to play.
I myself always use digital wallets and in my opinion, they are the best way to play online lotteries in India.
The main benefit of using an e-wallet is the fact that you will never have any trouble depositing or withdrawing money. Indian banks won’t allow you to deposit or withdraw money from gambling sites and therefore you can encounter trouble when using these methods.
Other benefits of using e-wallets in India
- Instant deposits – all payments you make with e-wallets will instantly appear on your lottery account.
- Safe – they are 100% safe to use and your money is always protected.
- Accessibility – almost all online lotto websites accept them, the most common ones being Skrill and Neteller.
- No Fees – Online lotteries rarely take out fees for payments made with e-wallets.
The only downside with using a digital wallet is the fact that sometimes they are excluded from deposit bonuses. On the other hand deposit bonuses are one of the least occurring bonuses.
Credit & Debit Cards
Credit and debit cards are the most common payment methods for online lotteries. The main reason is that this is the most common way to make any online payment. The brands that are most frequently accepted are Visa and Mastercard. Almost all banks provide cards from one of these two brands so I am sure you have one in your wallet. Debit cards such as Maestro and Visa Electron work as well but just not as often as their “big brothers” Visa and Mastercard.
The main advantage of cards is the fact that you have probably used one to make an online payment before. If not, don’t worry, when making a payment to online lotteries they will explain the process thoroughly.
Cards are of course not limited to just one advantage, there are several others as well.
- Security – Most credit and debit cards include insurance against scams and have identity theft protection. This shouldn’t be an issue as long as you choose one of my trusted sites but it is still nice to know that you are protected.
- Currency conversion – Some cards allow you to convert your money beforehand so you make a deposit in an accepted currency. This way you avoid possibly unfavourable rates offered by international lottery sites.
- Rewards – Many credit cards reward your spending. By playing you can earn cashback, shopping vouchers or reduced fees.
In my experience, there are a few negative aspects of making lottery payments with your card. A few sites will make you pay a fee for paying with cards. Usually, it is a set fee of a few dollars but it can also be a percent of the payment most commonly around 1-2%. Luckily this is more uncommon than it is common and something you will be able to spot in my lotto reviews.
The other negative aspect is the fact that your card deposit might get blocked by your bank. Indian banks do not accept deposits or withdrawals from any gambling sites. Many gambling websites get around these by using a middleman that “rebrands” the payments. Instead of saying its a gambling payment it can say something completely else. This is both confusing and annoying but it is still very safe. Some lottery websites don’t use these precautions and therefore you might not be able to use your card from India even though the site accepts it.
Making a payment with your bank is another option. You can wire money easily from your bank account to your lottery account. All websites will have thorough guides explaining exactly how to do it.
Although I don’t recommend using a bank transfer, it works. The first reason I don’t recommend it is because of the fees. You are almost guaranteed to get a fee for wiring money. The fee isn’t taken out by the lotto site that you wish to transfer money to but your bank. The amount of the fee depends completely on your bank.
Now the second reason I don’t recommend it is based on the processing times. It can take up to 10 business days to receive your payment to your lottery account. As an avid gambler, I can tell you that I can definitely not wait that long to play. If I make a payment to an online lottery it is because I want to play right now, not in two weeks.
The last reason I don’t recommend using bank wire transfers is that you might encounter the same problem as with cards. Your bank won’t accept any transactions that are marked coming from a gambling site. This may be an issue depending on what online lottery website you play at.
My best online payment tips
Now I promised you some ways to make the most out of your money. Now, what do I mean by that? Well, through my years of playing I have noticed two specific factors that in the long run can make a big difference.
- Currencies – The vast majority of the lotto websites are based outside of India and therefore mostly use either €UR or U$D. The conversion rate is set by each site so sometimes you can be left with unjust conversion rates. I recommend you to always convert your money to USD. Since most currencies are based in relation to the USD you are more likely to get the most current and fair conversion rate.
- Promotions – Most lottery sites have several different promotions running giving you an edge when playing. It could be anything from discounts, deposit bonuses or free lottery tickets. Look for a site that has promotions that intrigue you! Also, keep a lookout for competitions. These fun contests reward players with anything from experiences – like vacation trips or tickets to sold-out events, to lottery credits.
Choosing the best deposit method
As I mentioned earlier the best transaction method is the one that suits you the best. Of course, your best option is e-wallets but if for some reason you are not comfortable using this method it is not the best for you.
My recommendation would be to try this course of action.
- Try to set up a Skrill or Neteller account or use one you already have.
- If e-wallets don’t work for you or you just don’t want to use it, your second best option is cards.
There is something I want to make clear though. Just because you chose one payment option doesn’t mean you can alternate between different ones. For example, I usually use an e-wallet for the majority of my lottery payments but sometimes use my credit card to get access to bonuses. You are also completely free to alternate between sites to be able to use all the best bonuses. A lotto account is always free to create!
Make a Payment at a trusted online lottery
Now I would say you are ready to make your first deposit to an online lottery! Choosing one is easy if you know where to look. For your convenience, I have personally reviewed all the best online lotteries accepting Indian players.
I can promise that on all these pages you will be treated in the very best way. You can click the link if you want to know more about how I review online lotteries. If you are ready to play on the other hand just go ahead and visit my favourite lottery page below!
Good luck and I hope a lottery jackpot comes your way soon!