Guide to playing Mega Millions lottery
Mega Millions lottery is a crorepati machine, to say the least. This lottery has long been the United States’ most popular lottery and it’s easy to understand why, the hundreds of players who have won and become crorepatis.
In later years this lottery has decided to invite players worldwide to try out their luck! As a lottery fanatic, I couldn’t be happier when I found out they accept Indian players through Mega Millions websites.
As it is an American state lottery from the start you can think of it as the Kerala State lottery only a thousand times better.
Why a thousand times better?
Well, that’s how much bigger the Mega Millions jackpot can become so think of your dream win on an Indian lottery and multiply it by a thousand, then you have the Mega Millions jackpot.
The Best Mega Millions Lottery 2020
Buy 1 Get 2 FREE: Cricket Lotto and Scratchcards!
- Nr 1 Ranked Lottery in India
- Easy Withdrawals
- India Exclusive Games
Buy one lottery ticket & get one FREE Powerball Ticket
- Best Lottery Games
- Great Promotions
- Huge jackpots
What is the Mega Millions lotto?
The Mega Millions lottery was, as I mentioned earlier, started as a state lottery in 1996 and was only played in three states from the start. It’s popularity quickly grew and more and more states joined in.
A lot of Americans wanted to participate even though they did not have any shops to buy tickets from nearby and that’s when it moved online as well.
Several Mega Millions websites were opened offering American players the option to buy their lotto tickets safely and securely online.
With the success of its online venture, Mega Millions decided to invite players worldwide accepting Indian players for the first time. Right now it is one of the most popular online lotteries in India alongside Powerball and SuperEnalotto.
The lotto game is played with 5 main numbers and 1 Gold Ball number. The main numbers can be chosen from 1 to 70 and the Gold Ball number can be chosen from 1 to 25. The draw is made in Atlanta, Georgia on Tuesday and Fridays at 11 PM eastern time. Because of the time difference, the draw in India is on Wednesdays and Saturdays at 8:30 AM.
The draw takes place regardless of holidays so you do not have to worry about any American holidays you don’t know about.
Now you have come to the best part of this Mega Millions lottery review, the jackpot. To this date the biggest jackpot paid out to one single player has come from Mega Millions.
The lucky winner who had bought a ticket in South Carolina won $1.537 billion on the 23rd of October, 2018. That is about Rs. 10996 crore, you see what I meant with Mega Millions being a thousand times better than the Kerala State lottery?
What is crazy is the fact that an Indian man sold the winning ticket of the biggest Mega Millions jackpot to a single player and collected a huge cash prize as well.
The only lottery that has had a bigger jackpot is Mega Millions, a jackpot of $1.586 billion, but it was shared by three winners.
The Mega Millions jackpot winner with the ticket from South Carolina decided to stay anonymous so he can enjoy his jackpot in peace.
Since the Mega Millions websites buy physical tickets for you in different states when you play online there is even a chance that the anonymous player was an Indian Mega Millions jackpot winner, it could literally be anyone!
So that was the biggest Mega Millions jackpot but what about the smallest?
Well, it’s hard to call $40 million a small jackpot but that is the minimum. So when you win the Mega Millions jackpot the minimum amount you will win is Rs. 286 crore! Just think about what you could do with Rs. 286 crore!
Furthermore, there have been two Indian Mega Millions jackpot winners, Hira Singh and Sandeep Singh. As you can see both have the last name Singh so who knows? The name might carry some luck when it comes to winning!
All prizes but the jackpot gets paid out instantly. When you win your money will instantly be credited to your lottery account.
The jackpot, on the other hand, you have two different options either you get a lump sum which is known as the cash option or you get it paid out annually over 30 years.
Something that is important to consider is the jackpot size is based on the annual payments and if you choose the cash option your payout will be significantly smaller. For example in 2005 a group of friends called “The Lucky 7” won a Mega Millions jackpot of $315 million but after choosing the cash option they got $175 million.
It’s hard to say what is better it all depends on what you prefer, a choice you will have to deal with later if you become an Indian Mega Millions winner.
Can I buy a Mega Millions tickets in India?
To be able to play Mega Millions you will need to find MegaMillions websites that accept Indian players.
Since I know from personal experience it is hard to find a lottery website you can both trust and that suits your needs I have reviewed more than 50 different lottery websites.
I can guarantee you that all the lottery sites I have reviewed are safe so all you need to worry about is the website’s services are what you are looking for.
Now, what do I mean by lottery website services?
Other than selling lottery tickets all online lotto agents have different structures, some focus more on giving rewards for playing, others on impeccable customer service and so on.
Below you can find a list of areas that can differ between lotto websites for you to consider when looking through my reviews.
Online Lottery Websites
- Promotions – Some lottery websites focus a lot on promotions, it can be special prices on tickets, welcome offer and more.
- Casino Games – Some online casinos offer a lotto agent service as well. Great if you like to play jackpot slots or table games for example.
- Mobile – All lottery agents will work on your phone but of course, there are some that work better than others. If you will play mostly on your cell phone choose a lottery website that has focused on mobile compatibility.
- Payment Providers – In this day and age there is an endless amount of safe ways to pay online. If you prefer a specific way to pay you can double-check that the lottery website provides said provider.
- Lotteries – I am a lottery nut and if you are like me you are going to want to spread out your luck on different lotteries. Check what other lotteries are available on the lottery websites.
- Customer Support – If you are new to online lotteries you might have a lot of questions even though it is very easy. If you feel that might be the case look for a lottery website with fast customer support.
Now you know what to be on the lookout for! All you need to do know is read my trusted reviews, visit the website of your choice and sign up for an account to start playing.
I always appreciate tips so I thought you might as well, you can find my favourite site below!
How do I play Mega Millions online?
To be able to play you need to buy tickets and from the previous section, you might have an idea how it works. To get rid of any doubts I will explain the whole process step by step. It really is as easy as 1, 2, 3, so let’s go!
- Choose the lotto website that suits you best.
- Decide what numbers you want to play, 5 main number 1-70 and then one Gold Ball number 1-25.
- Think about how much you want to play, one draw, several draws or maybe by subscription. My recommendation would be to try the lottery and if you liked it and thought it was exciting to sign up for a subscription. I know a guy who once missed a big win when he played weekly but forgot to buy tickets one week and of course, his numbers won big that week. Spoiler alert, it was me… So don’t be like me and receive all the wins you deserve with a subscription!
- Wait for the draw, do your good luck dance, put on your good luck clothes, be nice and good things will come to you. Hopefully a jackpot!
- Check your account after the draw to see how much you won!
Now if you also want to increase your chances of winning you should consider a Mega Millions syndicate.
A lottery syndicate is a group of players that buy tickets together. All the numbers on the tickets are shared as well as the prizes won. Since MegaMillions has mostly huge prizes you probably still get a payout of at least a crore if the syndicate you join wins big!
If you want to learn more about how to play as a group you can read my informative article on lotto syndicates.